- \\| ̷ ̷ ̷ ̷| ̷ ̷\ adjective
: seasoned with sugar and vinegar or lemon juice
* * */sweet"n soweur", -sow"euhr/, adj.cooked with sugar and vinegar or lemon juice and often other seasonings.[1925-30]
* * *sweetˈ-and-sourˈ adjective1. Cooked with sugar and vinegar or lemon juice2. (in Oriental cookery) having a seasoning of sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, etc• • •Main Entry: ↑sweet
* * *sweet-and-sour UK US adjectivesweet-and-sour food contains both sweet and sour flavoursThesaurus: words used to describe specific tastes and flavourshyponym
* * *sweet-and-sour «SWEET uhn SOWR», adjective.1. made with sugar and vinegar or lemon juice: »
a sweet-and-sour sauce.2. flavored with a sweet-and-sour sauce: »
sweet-and-sour chicken, beef, or pork.
* * *adj. [attrib.] (esp. of Chinese-style food) cooked in a sauce containing sugar and either vinegar or lemon
* * */ˌswiːtn̩ˈsawɚ/ adj, always used before a noun: having a flavor that is both sweet and sour
* * *ˌsweet-and-ˈsour [sweet-and-sour] adjective only before noun(of food) cooked in a sauce that contains sugar and ↑vinegar or lemon
Chinese sweet-and-sour pork
Useful english dictionary. 2012.